Hostage rescued after Hawks follow cellphone signal, three suspects arrested

Hawks in Cape Town found the victim tied up in the main bedroom in a house in Woodstock. File Photo

Hawks in Cape Town found the victim tied up in the main bedroom in a house in Woodstock. File Photo

Published Jun 15, 2024


A hostage was rescued on Friday by Cape Town Hawks after they followed the victim’s cellphone signal which led them to Woodstock.

Western Cape Hawks spokesperson, Warrant Officer Zinzi Hani, said the team received information on Friday around 7pm regarding a kidnapping.

“Upon receiving the information, analysis was made and linking the information to suspicious banking activities and transfer patterns by the suspects to various banks. This led the team to tracking the hostage's phone which was active in the Woodstock area,” said Hani.

Hani said after tracking the location, they gained entry to a house where they found the victim tied up in the main bedroom, and the victim was subsequently taken to hospital for examination.

Two suspects were arrested the same day.

On Saturday, a third suspect was found hiding in the backyard of a nearby residence.

The suspects are between the ages of 33 and 37 years.

They are expected to appear in the Cape Town Regional Court on Tuesday on charges of kidnapping and extortion.

Meanwhile, the provincial head of the Hawks, Major General Mathipa Makgato, has urged residents to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities such as kidnapping.

Early this month, four people were arrested in connection with the alleged kidnapping of two Bangladesh nationals on the KwaZulu-Natal South Coast.

“The kidnappers contacted a relative of the victim and demanded a ransom of R800,000.00.

“A case of kidnapping was reported at Margate police station and the case docket was allocated to the Hawks members.

“During the course of investigation and negotiations, a ransom of R115,000.00 was paid on May 1, and the victim was released the following day,’’ said Hawks spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Simphiwe Mhlongo

[email protected]

IOL News