News

‘Attack on democracy’: Newcastle mayor reacts as councillor survives alleged hit

Siphesihle Buthelezi|Published

A Newcastle Municipality councillor survived a shooting incident at her home prompting strong condemnation from the municipality.

Image: File

For the second time in six weeks, a senior public representative in Newcastle has been shot in what the Municipality has described as an attack on democratic governance.

The Newcastle Municipality said in a statement that councillor A.E. Mkhwanazi, an EFF PR councillor, survived a shooting at her residence on Monday night.

The municipality said the councillor is receiving appropriate support following the attack.

Condemning the incident, the municipality said the shooting “represents a direct assault on democratic governance and the rule of law” and described violence against elected representatives as “wholly unacceptable and undermines the foundations of public service and constitutional democracy.”

Newcastle mayor Xolani Dube said: “We condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms. While we are grateful that Councillor Mkhwanazi survived, such acts of violence threaten democratic governance and the safety of those who serve our communities. An attack on one councillor is an attack on democracy itself,” Dube said.

The municipality confirmed that the matter had been reported to law enforcement authorities and said it is relying on the South African Police Service and relevant investigative agencies to conduct a thorough investigation to ensure those responsible are “identified, apprehended, and brought to book without delay.”

The municipality also appealed to anyone with information that may assist law enforcement agencies to cooperate fully.

The latest incident follows an attack on the municipality’s Senior Executive Director for Corporate Services on January 5 this year.

The senior official and two assigned bodyguards were attacked by unknown suspects while travelling to work shortly after leaving his residence.

At the time, the municipality said it would not entertain “speculation, conjecture, or the politicisation” of the attack while investigations were underway. The South African Police Service launched an investigation, and suspects were later arrested in connection with that incident.

For more stories from The Mercury, click the link THE MERCURY