Placards at a media briefing held last week by the families of the men trapped in Russia. Four of the men returned to South Africa on Wednesday.
Image: Thami Magubane
Four South African men, who were allegedly lured to Russia with the promise of jobs only to be deployed to fight in the Russia-Ukraine conflict, have returned home.
Last week, The Mercury reported on the urgent plea made by families of the men for help from President Cyril Ramaphosa to have them repatriated. It has been reported that the men were told they would get training for security jobs but were later deployed to the Russian army.
The South African presidency had confirmed last week that Ramaphosa had discussed the matter with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
According to SABC News, the four men arrived at OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg on Wednesday and were set to be interviewed by the police amid an investigation into their recruitment.
It was reported that 17 men were duped into travelling to Russia. Most of the men are from KwaZulu-Natal with some linked to the extended family of former President Jacob Zuma. Allegations have been made that Zuma's daughter Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla was involved in their recruitment, a claim she has denied.
The ANC in KZN welcomed the return of the four men.
“Reports indicate that they were coerced into signing military contracts they did not fully understand and were subsequently deployed to active combat zones. The ANC views this matter with the utmost seriousness.
“It is both chilling and wholly unacceptable that South African citizens could be manipulated and exploited in such a manner, reduced, as reports suggest, to disposable participants in a brutal war not of their making. Several individuals were reported injured in the conflict zone, while all South Africans are expected to return home shortly,” the party said in a statement.
The ANC commended Ramaphosa's leadership and sustained diplomatic engagement, including direct discussions with Putin.
“The President's unwavering commitment to ensuring the safe return of South Africans reflects the enduring values of humanity, responsibility, and national duty. The return of this first group brings immense relief to their families and offers hope that the remaining citizens will soon follow.”
The party also pointed out that in terms of South Africa's Foreign Military Assistance Act of 1998, participation in foreign military activity without authorisation is unlawful.
The party also called for a full investigation into those responsible for recruiting and trafficking South Africans into conflict zones, stronger public awareness campaigns to prevent further exploitation, and continued diplomatic efforts to secure the return of all remaining South Africans still stranded.
For more stories from The Mercury, click the link THE MERCURY