News

Repatriated SA men give statements amid ongoing Hawks probe into Russia conflict recruitment

Thami Magubane|Published

Four South African men, who were allegedly duped into fighting on behalf of Russia in its conflict with Ukraine, returned home on Wednesday. They have given statements to law enforcement authorities.

Image: Henk Kruger / Independent Newspapers / File

The four South African men, who returned from the Russia-Ukraine conflict on Wednesday, the South Africans spent their first day back in the country deposing statements and handing over their phones to the police.

The Mercury learned from the parents yesterday that the men had been kept in a place of safety in Johannesburg to rest. They stated that their phones were confiscated by the police upon their arrival in the country and believed this was part of the police investigation looking into how these men were lured into the deadly Russia-Ukraine conflict.

They had been stuck in that war for several months. Four of the 17 South Africans returned on Wednesday, and more are expected back in the coming days. One man who was severely injured is expected to remain in Russia a little longer as he receives medical treatment for his injuries.

Duduzile Zuma, the daughter of MKP leader and former state president Jacob Zuma, is among those in the crosshairs of the police. She has been accused of being involved in luring the men to go to Russia under the pretext of training for security. Some of the men have previously claimed that she was part of the reason they were convinced to go there, as she had allegedly stated that she was also doing the training.

A parent of one of the men who returned this week said: “When they arrived, their phones were taken by the police conducting an investigation into how they ended up in Russia in the first place.” The parent declined to be named. Speaking on the emotional state of the men, she said they had been traumatised by what they went through.

“They still cannot believe that they are back home,” said another relieved parent who asked not to be identified. “We spoke to them briefly yesterday, but we have not seen them physically as yet. When we spoke to them, we could see that while we have not seen their physical state, they will need a lot of counselling to get over what they went through these past few months,” she said.

She added: “We are pleased that they are back, and we are very grateful to the President. While I am very happy that my child is back, there is still pain as we want all 17 children to be brought back to the country, and we will be happy when they are finally brought back.”

She stated that they had been informed on Tuesday by the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) that the first group was coming back, but they did not believe it until they actually landed in the country.

Another parent, Phumla Zuma, said the pain and trauma that their children have been through is immeasurable, adding that her son is even triggered by the sound of flying aircraft, fearing a drone. Zuma said that two of her eight children had so far returned.

“My happiness is incomplete; only two of my children that were there have returned. The children of other parents have also not returned, and my happiness will be complete when they are all back.”

She said they are pleased that the South Africans who are still stuck in Russia have been moved from the conflict zone.

“What we know is that during the week when South African President Ramaphosa spoke with the Russian President, they were moved to a safe area. They are now sitting in a safe area and waiting to be returned home,” she said, adding that one of the injured men will remain in Russia for a longer period as they attend to his injuries, including fitting him with a prosthetic leg.

“While they arrived yesterday, we have not had a chance to meet with them. We understand that when they arrived, they gave their statements and their phones, and after that, they were put in a place of safety. We have also not been able to engage with them fully; we had brief exchanges with them, and while they are happy to be back, they are tired and traumatised, to the extent that we understand one of them mistook a plane flying overhead for a drone. That alone tells you that they are still feeling the trauma,” she said.

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Thandi Mbambo said the investigation is proceeding and they cannot comment on it.

For more stories from The Mercury, click the link THE MERCURY