The family of murdered Bolt driver Isaac Satlat says the 22-year-old’s killing was an act of criminality, not xenophobia.
Image: Facebook
As a suspect prepares to appear in court for the brutal murder of Bolt driver Isaac Satlat — a killing that sparked outrage after a disturbing video circulated online — his family has now broken its silence, rejecting claims that the 22-year-old was targeted because he was Nigerian.
In previous reports, IOL detailed how Satlat was allegedly attacked after responding to a couple's ride request in Pretoria West on Wednesday, and how a female suspect was later arrested. Police also warned the public against sharing graphic footage linked to the killing, saying it could hamper investigations and retraumatise the family.
Now, speaking to broadcaster Newzroom Afrika, family spokesperson and activist Solomon Ashoms said the narrative suggesting the killing was a xenophobic attack was not supported by the family.
Screenshot from the disturbing video circulating on social media, allegedly showing an attack on an e-hailing driver in Pretoria West. SAPS urges the public not to share the footage.
Image: Screenshot
“We talked about that with his family, with his dad especially, and we came to a conclusion where we agreed no, it is a typical case that could happen to anybody. Whether you are South African or not South African. It was a crime situation. There are criminals who intended to take your valuable items from you, not targeted,” Ashoms said.
He added that Satlat’s father had specifically asked that the tragedy not be turned into a “Nigeria versus South Africa” issue.
“For that especially, the dad said we must make sure that this issue does not get to a place where it becomes a Nigeria versus South Africa thing.”
Ashoms also described the traumatic moment Satlat’s father had to identify his son’s body at a funeral parlour.
“The moment he identified his body, the dad was almost losing his breath. They had to immediately take him into a medical centre because his blood pressure rose to about 238,” he said.
The family confirmed that Satlat’s father has not watched the widely circulated video and does not intend to do so.
Describing the young man, Ashoms said Satlat was creative and deeply involved in his faith community.
The family of murdered Bolt driver Isaac Satlat says the 22-year-old’s killing was an act of criminality, not xenophobia.
Image: Facebook
“He loved music, loved modelling, loved the church. That was who Isaac was.”
Satlat’s mother, who is in Nigeria, and his two siblings are said to be devastated by the killing.
IOL previously reported that a female suspect is expected to appear in the Atteridgeville Magistrate’s Court facing charges of murder and hijacking. Police have indicated that more arrests are imminent as investigations continue.
jonisayi.maromo@iol.co.za
IOL News