News

Justice for Isaac: Trio accused of Bolt driver's murder abandon bail application

Jonisayi Maromo|Updated

Accused Dikeledi Tears Phela, Gositsiane Machidi and McClaren Mushwana abandoned their bail application during their appearance in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court in connection with the murder of Bolt driver Isaac Satlat.

Image: Screengrab

Three accused in the murder of Bolt driver Isaac Satlat have abandoned their bail application and elected to remain behind bars after appearing in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday, as supporters outside chanted “Justice for Isaac”.

Dikeledi Tears Phela, Gositsiane Machidi and McClaren Mushwana are facing charges of premeditated murder and aggravated robbery in connection with the fatal attack on the 22-year-old e-hailing driver in Pretoria West last week.

The trio made a brief appearance before the court, where the matter was postponed for further investigation.

Outside court, e-hailing drivers and supporters staged a picket, calling on government to strengthen safety measures for drivers operating on digital platforms.

Protesters repeatedly chanted “Justice for Isaac” as proceedings got under way.

The case relates to the February 11 incident in which Satlat was allegedly attacked after responding to a ride request. His vehicle and body were later found in Atteridgeville. The killing, which was captured on camera and widely circulated on social media, sparked national outrage.

Police have previously confirmed that investigations are ongoing and that a fourth suspect is still being sought in connection with the crime. The matter was postponed to February 23 for further investigations.

The family of murdered Bolt driver Isaac Satlat says the 22-year-old’s killing was an act of criminality, not xenophobia.

Image: Facebook

Earlier on Monday, IOL reported that the net is tightening in the murder of Satlat, with three suspects scheduled to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday, after the South African Police Service confirmed two more arrests in the case.

In previous reports, IOL detailed how the 22-year-old was allegedly attacked after responding to a ride request in Pretoria West on Wednesday, 11 February 2026. His hijacked vehicle and his body were later found abandoned in Atteridgeville on the same day.

On Monday, IOL reported that Gauteng police confirmed that two additional male suspects, aged 30 and 26, had been arrested and would join the woman in court.

Gauteng provincial police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo said investigations were ongoing and that officers were still searching for another suspect.

“The police have arrested two more suspects after an e-hailing driver was allegedly killed on Wednesday, 11 February 2026. The two male suspects, who are aged 30 and 26, will join the third suspect, aged 25, who was arrested on Friday, 13 February 2026,” Masondo said.

“All suspects are expected to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Monday, 16 February 2026, facing charges that include car hijacking and murder.”

jonisayi.maromo@iol.co.za

IOL News  

Get your news on the go. Download the latest IOL App for Android and IOS now.