Three suspects accused of killing 22-year-old e-hailing driver Isaac Satlat abandoned their bail bid during their first appearance in Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
The accused, Dikeledi Tears Phela, Gositsiane Machidi, and Tinyiko McClaren Mushwana, aged between 25 and 30, are facing serious charges of premeditated murder, hijacking and robbery with aggravating circumstances. The court has postponed the matter 23 February 23, to allow for further investigations.
The incident happened last Wednesday, February 11, in Pretoria West, when Satlat was allegedly attacked and killed while inside his vehicle. Police say the killing appears to have occurred during a hijacking. Investigators are examining whether there were any accomplices involved.
This morning, SAPS arrested two more suspects in connection with the murder, who joined the third suspect previously arrested on Friday, February 13.
“The police have arrested two more suspects after an e-hailing driver was allegedly killed on Wednesday, February 11, 2026. The two male suspects, who are aged 30 and 26, will join the third suspect, aged 25, who was arrested on Friday, 13 February 2026. All suspects are expected to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court, facing charges that include car hijacking and murder. Police are still on the lookout for the fourth suspect,” SAPS said in a statement.
“So, three accused persons appeared before the court this morning. Ranging from age 30 to 25, they are facing a charge of premeditated murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances. In court, they opted to abandon their application, and the matter was postponed to the 23rd of February for further investigations,” NPA's Lumka Mahanjana told media outside the courtroom.
The murder has sparked concern over the safety of e-hailing drivers in Pretoria and across the country, with many calling for tighter security measures for gig economy workers.
anita.nkonki@inl.co.za
Saturday Star